Facts About Dry Eye
What is dry eye ?
Dry eye occurs when the eye does not produce tears properly, or when the tears are not of the correct consistency and evaporate too quickly.
What are the types of dry eye?
(1)Aqueous tear –deficient dry eye .
(2)Evaporative dry eye .
What are tears and it’s relationship to dry eye?
Tears made by lacrimal gland are necessary for overall eye health and clear vision. Tears keeping eye moist and wash away dust and debris. They also help protect the eye from bacterial and other types of infections.
Symptoms of dry eye: –
- stinging or burning sensation of the eye.
- Sandy or gritty feeling in the eye.
- Pain and redness of the eye.
- Uncomfortable contact lenses.
Treatment of dry eye :-
- Use artificial tears,gels, and ointments as first line of treatment.
- Any underlying diseases or medications that caused dryness should be determined and treated.
- Plug the drainage holes at inner corners of the eyelids.
- In some cases,a simple surgery,called punctual cautery is recommended.